Christmas Jobs 2014
Xmas Employment, Part Time And Full Time Christmas Jobs
Welcome to the Yourcounty Christmas jobs 2013 page. The goal of this feature is to provide help and links to relevant resources for job seekers looking for temporary seasonal jobs. It i nearly fifteen years since we first published seasonal job pages, the aim then is similar to the one we have today, quite simply to highlight Christmas jobs in Kent and the surrounding area. There are literally hundreds of potential Christmas employers around, it's beyond the scope of this page to feature them all. We aim to highlight the largest seasonal recruiters in the area and provide some general ideas to get you started.
One of the ways we add value to our coverage is to highlight user experience and share them with our audience so if you want to provide some feedback regarding any of the seasonal employers on this page or any other Christmas jobs you've had that were particularly good or bad get we would welcome your feedback.
The rush for Christmas employment 2013 will start almost as soon as the summer holidays ends. The big recruiters of casual Christmas workers start to make announcements during August and the actual recruitment begins soon afterwards.
According to the British Retail Consortium around three quarters of retail businesses expect to recruit extra staff this Christmas. This isn't the only sector to think about in terms of temporary Christmas employment but it does suggest where most of the vacancies may occur.
We highlight some of the biggest recruiters of seasonal staff below, however there are many more opportunities with local independent firms in your area, many of them will be filled simply by suitable candidates who have submitted a CV in good time. If you have gone to the trouble of producing an excellent curriculum vitae make sure you don't miss out on all of those
Our Christmas jobs in Kent feature is on this page, follow this link for our main local employment resources, it holds links to hundreds of organisations and thousands of vacancies. We'll be including more specific recruitment details during the coming days. Follow these links for Christmas jobs In Medway and seasonal vacancies in Bromley and London.
We've published links to many of the biggest employers of temporary seasonal staff below but this list is just a start. Many small independent companies recruit extra staff during; November, December and January, not all of these vacancies are published and businesses may rely on personal networks for recruitment. Many sectors of the economy benefit from an upturn in business at this time of year the most obvious examples are gifts in particular and retail in general and entertainment and hospitality. So as well as shops , bars and restaurants you can also think a little bit out of the box, where are the secondary beneficiaries? How about taxi and delivery companies, there is going to be a greater need for warehousing and distribution capacity, clothes hire and fancy dress, restaurant staff , internal and external catering, the list is extensive.
The Universal Job search can be a useful starting point or you can actually visit your local job centre, they will have a large number of local vacancies and can provide a significant amount of general information.
If you're looking for a permanent job starting at Christmas you might consider taking a temporary job to get your feet under the table. Not all Christmas jobs are 9 to 5, full time affairs, some employers may be looking for weekend staff or employees to cover extended opening hours, it really depends on the specific needs of each employer. Don't underestimate the importance of presentation even for temporary Christmas jobs, the best vacancies will attract lots of interest from candidates. If the first stage of your application is through your own CV, online form or traditional paper application make it of the highest quality, you are competing against the applicants.
The information we include below include some of the most important recruiters, this is just a small sample, if you would like to recommend other employers of temporary staff operating in Kent please get in touch:
- Typically Argos - http://www.justessex.net/jobsinessex/argosjobs.html - have over 3,000 seasonal jobs, that translates to nearly one thousand in the South East region. In Argos like a Christmas jobs may lead to a permanent position. Recruitment typically carried out through their own in house website which provides comprehensive recruitment help.
- The leading supermarkets are amongst the biggest employers of seasonal (Christmas) staff. Asda is no exception they take on thousands of extra recruits every year in November and December. There is some basic training and once you successfully complete a contract you may be invited back again and again. It is also a great opportunity to gain experience ahead of an application for a full-time role. Many of Asda's seasonal staff go on to permanent jobs and even become part of the graduate recruitment scheme.
- One of the biggest retailers in Kent is Boots, This high street retailer of pharmacy, health and beauty products recruits extra staff every Christmas to deal with the increased workload. Most seasonal vacancies in Kent are working in store helping customers or supporting those that do. Hours will typically be retail hours but in the run up to the holiday season these can be seven days a week and many stores are likely to be open later.
- Christmas is a great time of year to find opportunities in the hospitality sector. Compass is one of the big employers of seasonal and casual staff, At the time of our last visit there were jobs as: Stadium Staff, all grades of chefs, racecourse staff, Wembley Arena Staff, portering work, event waiting staff, bar staff,
bakers and pastry chefs on the www.compasseventjobs.com website.
- Debenhams - http://www.debenhams-careers.com/ - There are several stores in Kent that are likely to recruit extra staff, these include the Folkestone store on the Sandgate Road, Debenhams Westwood Cross, the Canterbury store in the city centre on Guildhall Street, Elwick Road in Ashford, Chatham High Street and the stores in Gravesend, Orpington and Bromley. Jobs are likely to be filled on a first come first served basis, so make a brilliant application as soon as you can. Debenhams Christmas jobs often include part time, and flexi hour contracts.
- Christmas jobs at Gumtree http://www.gumtree.com/all/uk/christmas+jobs - may be a great resource for people looking for temporary work, I know many people that have found jobs (often at short notice), there are some common sense rules about applying for work through Gumtree, first and foremost most employers will not ask for money from applicants. Take a look at the T&Cs on the websites.
- Iceland http://jobs.iceland.co.uk/seem to regularly employ casual staff, we've had no feedback on the terms and conditions that they provide so we'd welcome your thoughts if you have experience of Iceland as a Christmas employer.
- John Lewis - Is one of the most highly regarded temporary employers. If you're looking for a permanent position, a great way to get your foot in the door is to get a reference from a period of temporary employment. Two stores in Kent that we know recruit seasonal staff, the Bluewater store at John Lewis at Home in Tunbridge Wells which is based on the Kingstanding Business Park.
- KFC - http://www.kfc.co.uk/join-us - Check out the website for full recruitment details. Temporary or permanent Christmas work.
- There are several hundred M&S Christmas jobs vacancies in in Kent and thousands nationwide, nearly all in-store working as customer assistants or cafe assistants. Marks & Spencer offer contracts to the best of the seasonal staff, up to 1 in 5 of their casual recruits are offered permanent contracts. Even on a temporary footing an employee can enjoy many of the benefits of permanent staff' like the 20% staff discount.
- Matalan http://matalan.jobs/index.html - are amongst the county's regular recruiters of casual staff, most vacancies in store, some retail experience would be an advantage. Stores that will be recruiting are likely to include, Matalan Canterbury set just on the outskirts of town at the Stour Retail Park (just next to the Park and Ride), the Dartford store in Prospect Place, Matalan Erith in Pier Road, the Maidstone Matalan in The Broadway Shopping Centre, the Strood store on the local Strood Retail Park and the new Matalan at Westwood Cross.
- Morrisons Christmas jobs or temporary posts can be accessed through our own local pages or visit the Morrisons recruitment website direct.
- Next - http://careers.next.co.uk/retail/retailvacancies.aspx?v=n - Apply early for Next jobs if you're looking for a Christmas jobs in retail, watch the website for vacancy details or drop a CV in your local store around the beginning of October if you want to stand out.
- There are generally some Christmas jobs with O2 largely connected to High Streetv retail, visit the O2 - Telfonica recruitment website.
- Pizza Express - http://www.pizzaexpressyourself.com/ - Pizza Express rely heavily on seasonal staff, they do publish vacancy details on their website but if I wanted a job there I'd take my CV round with a covering letter before the recruitment begins.
- Pizza Hut - http://www.careersatpizzahut.co.uk/ - You can expect the Xmas recruitment 2013 to start in November, be prepared for some hard work, most Pizza Hut restaurants are fully booked over the festive season.
- Primark - http://www.primark.co.uk - Retail work in a growing success, Primark seem to be going from strength to strength and they always need extra staff at Christmas.
- Royal Mail - A traditional and significant employer of seasonal staff. Despite the increase in digital communications the workload of the Royal Mail increases by about 100% during December. About 8 people apply for every seasonal post so you need to apply early and make the best possible impression to have a chance. Sign up to the website and do a little research into the recruitment process before taking the suitability tests. Once you have completed a temporary contract you might find it simpler to gain employment in future years.
- Sainsburys - J Sainsburys is now one of the biggest recruiters of seasonal staff, 2013 will see a total of 15,000 employed. I have only seen vacancies published through their website, would love to know if it's worthwhile leaving a copy of my CV with the local store. Any feedback gratefully received.
- Starbucks - http://www.starbucks.co.uk/careersdepend on part time and seasonal staff to help them deal with peaks in their activity, you may have noticed that the shop is particularly popular with people undertaking their Christmas shopping. Seasonal jobs at most Kent branches including: Canterbury Sainsburys, Canterbury Burgate in the Buttermarket, Folkestone's Starbucks in Bouviere Place, Ashford High Street, Maidstone Village Hotel, Tunbridge Wells branch in 30 Calverley Road, the Tonbridge Starbucks in the High Street, Bluewater's very own Starbucks, the Broadway branch in Bexleyheath, there is also an outlet in West Wickham and three in Bromley including The Glades. Successfully complete the seasonal contract and you'll instantly improve your chances for longer term employment opportunities.
- Tesco offer eight week temporary contracts for seasonal (Christmas) employment, nationally they recruit thousands of people every year for the Christmas rush. Seasonal staff receive training, once appointed they may be invited to return in future years and it is is a great platform from which to apply for a permanent job.
- Toysrus - http://www.toysrus.co.uk/info/careers.jsf - Santa's little helpers generally increase their national workforce by about 4,000 every year, for specific store vacancies you'll need to visit the website.
- Tragus - http://www.traguscareers.co.uk/ - You may not be familiar with the name Tragus but you've almost certainly heard of some of the businesses they run such as: Café Rouge,
Strada and Belgo. This group employs close to 8,000 people running 300 UK restaurants across the UK. Several outlets in Kent, most in the larger towns and cities.
- Waitrose - Part of JLP group, see the website for recruitment information and general terms and conditions for temporary and permanent staff. They are a highly regarded employer of temporary staff able to offer full time contracts to outstanding employees at the successful completion of their casual contract.
- Wetherspoons - http://www.wetherspoonjobs.co.uk/ - J D Wetherspoon plc are able to offer part time and full time vacancies in many parts of the country in the winter. The pub chain now has nearly 900 pubs and over a billion pounds of annual sales. There are over 20 outlets in Kent and each of them is likely to see a significant increase in custom in December.
Christmas Jobs 2014 - User Feedback & Disclaimer
We make every effort to ensure the information on this page is accurate, we do check the content regularly but if you see any omissions or errors let us know. This isn't a complete or exhaustive directory and we welcome submissions of other employers for free inclusion on on these pages. Please see our disclaimer. If you have recent experience of any of the employers on this page, that you'd like to share with our users you can simply drop us a line.